Yeah, it's that time of year again, I have to rewrite my DD guidelines journal. Same old crap, based on common sense. These are my personal rules, they aren't universal, but please keep them in mind when sending me suggestions or I will ignore your note. I get so many god awful suggestions, it's just getting out of hand.
1) The piece has to be good. I mean, really good. I don't care how lovely the artist is or how hard they've been working, the piece needs to be top notch stuff. Look at the art I see every day running my collective (depthcore.com)
. If the piece isn't as good as the stuff on there, there's no chance I'm giving it a feature here.
2) The DD is a feature, not an award. I get dozens of notes from people suggesting pieces with tens of thousands of views, and several thousand favourites. Honestly, you think that piece needs more attention? 100 favs is the ceiling - anything above that doesn't need a DD.
3) Perhaps should be the first one, I only feature digital art. No photos.
4) Don't suggest yourself. Two reasons for this; you're going to take it personally if I knock it back (which happened on one occassion recently and really annoyed me - this guy suggested his own work, I said it wasn't DD standard, then he got incredibly pissy told me I shouldn't be so quick to judge other peoples work. What the fuck? That's exactly what he had written to ask me to do). Two, it's just a bit of a wank. If you're that desperate, ask a friend to do it.
That's pretty much it. I'm getting a ridiculous amount of notes these days, and so far this year have actually featured two suggestions. I read everything and look at all the pieces, but henceforth notes that don't pay attention to these pretty logical and simple rules aren't getting a note back.
New dC coming soon, and even a small update on my folio (justinmaller.com)
- yes, already! It's amazing! Wow! Follow me on twitter (twitter.com/justinmaller)